Roadmaps and backlogs
Fundaments of backlog
Backlog consists from a list of increments designated to improve product or service. Depending on the project, these features can be either detailed specifications or more generic user stories. User stories are short summaries of the functionality from a particular user’s perspective. In addition to user stories, it is typical to use ticket types bringing hierarchy to the dev process, such as:
- Epic – high level description of the feature, e.g “New invoice view”
- User story – description of the functionality e.g “add invoice date” or “add payment type”
- Bug – if bug occurs e.g during regression testing, separate ticket type is used for bugs
- Defect – If preferring to separate bugs occuring in the production from the bugs identified during testing, additional ticket type can be utilized
- Sub ticket – in some projects it is preferred to use sub tickets, e.g when when implementing feature that can be divided to several working phases in a way where sub tickets are beneficial for the process
With a proper software project management tool, its relatively easy to organize tickets in manageable form. Backlog contains tickets that will be eventually implemented by the dev team.
From a product vision to the product backlog
Organizing product roadmap as part of product development
Organizing product development tends cause challenges for the software companies due to complex elements. Common challenges are usually related into adjusting stakeholder expectations, identifying most valuable increments and organizing internal processes around product development efficiently.
Scenario above contains typical elements related to the software product development process. Stakeholders are giving their input and expectations, product owner is responsible of arranging feedback loop, sort out most valuable increments and eventually implement those in collaboration with the development team.
Nearshored.com have plenty of knowledge in adjusting product roadmap and backlog and we are happy to help you, in case if you are looking to set up or re-organize your product steering model.
+358 44 360 6090